When I was first digging into the integral world, one of the people who extended the warmest welcome to me was Jeff Salzman in sunny Boulder. He even included a wandering Brit on Christmas day! Jeff has been a real benefactor of the ‘integral’ space and Ken Wilber’s work over a long time. For that, the world should be – and perhaps will increasingly be with the unfolding of the integral worldview in culture – super grateful.
When I was back in Boulder recently, I decided to have Jeff as the first person I have ever invited back on my show. For our first time round, and one of my earliest interviews (on an iPhone no less!), see this great quick introduction to what integral is and how to apply it.
This time we delve more squarely into the benefits of the integral worldview and how it helps with global issues and trends.
For reference, here are the timecodes:
– 0:09 – welcome and introduction to Jeff Salzman
– 1:05 – why integral theory lit Jeff up in way he had never been previously
– 2:40 – why integral can include all ideologies and how that benefits us
– 3:10 – what is post- post-modernism?
– 3:30 – what 3 cultures are currently online in the Western world, which most people miss
– 4:50 – why post-modernists see what modernity did with hierarchy and so reject any notions of hierarchy – and how this is problematic
– 7:30 – why integralists aren’t bummed out on life! (vs the ‘green malaise’)
– 8:00 – **newsflash** – why is objectively true that this is the best we have ever had it! – including what Jeff calls ‘the trailing edge of warfare’ and the astonishing problem of having too many calories
– 9:00 – what each worldview wants us to get and who the enemy is
– 11:25 – why there are no enemies in the integral worldview
– 14:20 – why the post-modern worldview is still fear-based – seeing some malevolent force outside the system
– 15:45 – why Jeff exhorts you to develop a ‘radical friendliness to the evolving catastrophe of life’
– 17:10 – the difference between ‘beautiful’ and ‘pretty’
– 17:50 – why 2nd tier development moves you into a ‘love operating system’ – where your worldview isn’t predicated upon something being deficient
– 18:30 – the development of a transpersonal or ‘bigger Jack’ 🙂
– 19.00 – how different personality types are magnetized to different aspects of reality – and we need everyone in the party
– 20:30 – what do we need from global governance?
– 21:40 – why the world getting together to agree a better world to live together is a ‘green fantasy’
– 22:00 – global governance is already happening
– 24:30 – conflict is really conflict between stages of development – e.g. the world being a titanic battle between good and bad
– 25:55 – ‘being an American is interesting….it’s not better…it’s like my eye color’
– 27:45 – the apocalyptic future…science fiction doesn’t predict the future, it prevents it
– 28:20 – the rise of extreme right parties – how problematic is that?
– 29:20 – how people use developmental achievements from a higher level of development which they could never invent themselves
– 30:20 – why ‘the regression’ after removing a dictator is really the ‘suspended animation’ of what was there before the dictator
– 31:25 – Obama spikes into integral on a good day!
– 31:35 – why you have to let people fight it out (and just encourage healthier ways of doing that)
– 32:20 – what Obama could do from an integral perspective (and why history will judge him kindly)
– 34:20 – what’s happening on the leading edge of development with millenials aka Generation Nice – and why human beings get nicer and nicer
– 35:20 – ‘to see is to care’- why technology is helping us to see everything now
– 37:00 – why liberals beat conservatives over time (not because they relax!)
– 37:30 – why the gay rights movement has been so effective and why we should take hope from that
– 39:10 – why attitudes to homosexuality are markers of cultural development [in ‘red’ cultures, homosexuality is punishable by death; in ‘blue’ cultures you can be banished or jailed and on]
– 42:10 – post-modernity as rehabilitating the victims of the past
– 43:10 – the moral intuition that comes online around including everyone
– 44:20 – what’s the relationship between cultural mores and law? The rocking chair effect
– 45:50 – the declaration of independence is written by a guy who buys and sells human beings!
– 46:20 – current polarization as a stage of development
– 47:30 – Steve Mcintosh / The Institute for Cultural Evolution, and how men have taken on qualities of women and women have taken on qualities of men
– 48:50 – how liberals and conservatives both have a part of the truth the other doesn’t and how integral can be inherently pragmatic
– 50:55 – superintelligence and artificial intelligence – what governance do we need?
– 52:20 – what is human interiority?
– 53:10 – why because of interiority Jeff doesn’t worry about machines taking over the world
– 54:40 – transhumanism – and Jeff’s concerns
– 55:50 – the dangers of an invisible internet
– 56:10 – the scariest thing on the planet – modern and post-modern technology in pre-modern hands
– 58:10 – why progress proceeds funeral by funeral 🙂
For more on Jeff’s work, go to The Daily Evolver. Love what you’re doing, Jeff.
Thanks all for tuning in and let me know your reactions.